What is an SR-22 and do I need one?

What is an SR-22 and do I need one?

An SR-22 is a type of car insurance form that is filed by your insurer to the state to prove that you have the minimum required car liability insurance. The form, which is also known as an “SR-22 bond” or “certificate of financial responsibility”, is usually ordered by a court or state department of motor vehicles after a person has been convicted of certain offenses such as DUI or driving without insurance.

You may be asked to file an SR-22 if you have been caught driving without insurance, caused too many car accidents, or have had your license revoked or suspended. In addition, some states may require an FR-44 in place of an SR-22, which requires higher liability limits.

Getting an SR-22 is relatively inexpensive and typically costs about $25. However, you will likely see an increase in car insurance rates due to whatever problem caused you to need the SR-22 in the first place. For example, if you’ve been convicted of DUI, you’re more likely to pay more for car insurance regardless of the SR-22.

To obtain an SR-22, contact your car insurance provider and let them know that you need an SR-22 endorsement on your existing policy. If you don’t have car insurance, you can purchase a non-owner car insurance policy to meet this requirement and get the SR-22.

The length of time you must maintain the SR-22 varies by state. In most states, drivers are usually required to maintain SR-22 insurance for three years. However, in some states such as South Carolina and Alaska, the time period could be longer depending on the conviction.

It is important to note that having an SR-22 does not necessarily mean you are a bad driver. It simply means that you are considered a higher-risk driver and need to provide proof that you have the minimum required auto insurance coverage in the state.

If you have any questions about what an SR-22 is or are in need of an SR-22 contact The Morgano Agency today.  Our insurance agency will be glad to help you.